Mario Lopez has come under fire for making a comment that he worries that reinforcing a child’s gender identity may have later negative ramifications. This was in relation to how Charlize Theron is raising her 7-year-old child as trans. The comment is below:
I just think it’s dangerous as a parent to make that determination then OK, well then you’re going to be a boy or girl, whatever the case may. It’s sort of alarming. And my gosh just think about the repercussions later on.
Lopez received accusations ranging from “transphobia” to being “in need of education.” There are multiple studies that show early social and medical support for trans youth benefits their mental health [de Vries (2014) and Russel (2018) and Olson (2016)]. However, even gender dysphoria experts share his concerns. Several of those comments can be found on our website.
LGBT media and organizations have come out against the comment despite the fact that many gender experts’ opinions, desistance research, and that regretters appear to be increasing, all point to the real risks to pre-LGB children or confused teens. More heterosexual youth may be affected as well with changing demographics. Part of the reasons for this lack of concern is the way that very positive transition studies and articles have been promoted [(de Vries (2014) and Olson (2016)] in the US media but negative ones have not [Littman, 2018 and Professor Bigg’s blocker review]. LGBT organizations, trans activists, and affirmative model advocates also promote the concept anything other than total affirmation of a child’s gender identity is akin to murder (“Do you want a live daughter or a dead son”).
The media and LGBT organizations also fail to mention the harsh realities of medical transition. Transitioned children will be sterilized, castrated, have weaker bones, may have lowered IQ, and will later have increased circulatory health risks.
Promoting unquestioned affirmation is a current trans activist priority but isn’t in the interests of the gay, lesbian, and bisexual population if this creates significant amounts of “false positives.” No LGBT organization is presenting this issue with any balance. Affirmative model advocates have done an excellent job in painting this as safe to the public by ignoring or downplaying desistance and other risks to facilitate the blanket social transition and hormone blocker protocol on all children who say they are trans.
No concern about any of these issues is likely to be raised from any LGBT organization. They will continue to promote unquestioned child/teen medical transition and accusations of transphobia if any one does question it.
Lopez had to recant his concerns as people likely would have tried to completely destroy his career. Candace Owens decried “leftists” forcing an apology under these blackmail-like conditions.
To review the main points around this issue:
1) There is in fact data that shows improved mental health with social and medical support in trans youth that should not be discounted.
2) PFLAG, the HRC, the Advocate, Charlize Theron, or anyone attempting to educate Mario Lopez actually has no idea if an early social transition prevents a child from aligning with their body. Several top gender dysphoria experts believe it will. There is a fair amount of evidence environmental and parental factors may influence gender dysphoria, so it is reasonable to believe the current environment will solidify a trans identity in a child or young teen.
3) Early social transitions will likely lead to the use of hormone blockers. More and more people are viewing hormone blockers as dangerous. Few children desist once put on blockers so it is very possible they affect gender identity development. They are giving tweens hormone blockers before they experience any puberty at all, the puberty that used to aid children in desisting from GD.
4) Young regretters are coming forward as well, so false positives regarding young people are already shown to be inevitable.
5) Most media outlets and all LGBT organizations refuse to acknowledge any risks to grey area children who may need time and proper mental health support to get through puberty and align with their natal sex.
6) The failure to present the nuances of these issues, to downplay desistance, and avoid discussions about regret on the part of affirmative model advocates is likely responsible for this overall lack of interest on the effects of these protocols on LGB (and heterosexual) gender nonconforming youth.
7) Mario Lopez had to apologize or people would have tried to destroy his career, as happens to many people who express any doubts about affirmation of children and teens. People who challenge the affirmative model in anyway will be attacked in liberal circles such as LGBT organizations, leftist media, and academia.
Arciga, J. (2019, April 14). Charlize Theron Reveals 7-Year-Old Daughter Is Transgender: Daily Mail. Daily Beast. Retrieved from https://www.thedailybeast.com/actress-charlize-theron-reveals-7-year-old-is-transgender-daily-mail
Biggs, M. (2019, July 29). The Tavistock’s Experiment with Puberty Blockers. Department of Sociology and St Cross College, University of Oxford. Retrieved from http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sfos0060/Biggs_ExperimentPubertyBlockers.pdf
De Vries, A., McGuire, J., & Steensma, T. (2014). Young Adult Psychological Outcome After Puberty Suppression and Gender Reassignment. Pediatrics,134(4). doi:10.1542/peds.2013-2958d
Littman, L. (2018). Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports. PLOS ONE, 13(8). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0202330
Olson, K. R., Durwood, L., DeMeules, M., & McLaughlin, K. A. (2016). Mental health of transgender children who are supported in their identities. Pediatrics, 137(3), e20153223. doi:10.1542/peds.2015-3223
Russel, S., Pollitt, A., Gu, L., Grossman, A. (2018) Chosen Name Use Is Linked to Reduced Depressive Symptoms, Suicidal Ideation, and Suicidal Behavior Among Transgender Youth. Journal of Adolescent Health 63(4), 505-505. doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2018.02.003
Stockler, A. (2019, July 31). Candace Owens Says 'Sick' People Bullied Mario Lopez Into Apologizing For Anti-Trans Comments. Daily Beast. Retrieved from Daily Beast. Retrieved from https://www.newsweek.com/candace-owens-mario-lopez-bullied-transgender-apology-1451997